Table of Contents
Are you wondering where is Rotterdam located? Rotterdam is a dynamic city characterized by modern architecture, diverse neighborhoods, and maritime heritage. Learning more about the location of this major city will help you understand why.
Where exactly is Rotterdam located? Rotterdam is the second largest city of the Netherlands. It is part of the province of Zuid, South Holland. Rotterdam lies along the banks of the Nieuwe Maas River. The latitude of Rotterdam is 51.926517 while its longitude is 4.462456.
Curious to know more about this vibrant city? Read on to find more about its placement on the map and the fun facts that make the place even more interesting.
Where is Rotterdam Located on the Map?
HOW TO USE THIS MAP TO BOOK YOUR RESERVATIONS:
CLICK the YELLOW MARKER OR THE DROP DOWN MENU next to the title to see the various things to do and point of interest in this guide and CHOOSE your desired preview of the map, whether HOTELS & RENTALS, EXPERIENCES, RESTAURANTS OR OTHERS. Feel free to use the filters, number of guests, and your preferred dates. You can see more information about the different attractions (the GREEN MARKERS) when you click the icons, as well as finding your perfect accommodation that will suit your budget and location. You could also book your guided tours and restaurants using the map.
Rotterdam at a Glance
Rotterdam is located in the western part of the country of the Netherlands. The city is near the North Sea coast, therefore being a major gateway for those coming to Europe. Thanks to this strategic location, Rotterdam is thriving especially in terms of growth and development.
Some of the informal nicknames for Rotterdam perfectly encapsulate what the city is all about. These are:
- “The Gateway to Europe”
- “Manhattan on the Maas”
- “City of Architecture”
- “Port City”
Aside from its innovative architecture, Rotterdam is also known for the prestigious institutions of higher education that can be found here, including the Erasmus University Rotterdam and the Willem de Kooning Academy of Fine Arts.
Visitors to the Netherlands often enter through Rotterdam and start their exploration there. The closest airport to the city is the Rotterdam Hague Airport (RTM,) although the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is also close by.
The official language in Rotterdam is Dutch, although the English language is widely used. The electrical sockets here are Type C and Type F. The currency used in Rotterdam is the Euro (€).
Distance of Rotterdam to Other UK Destinations
|The Hague to Rotterdam||25 kilometers or 15.5 miles|
|Utrecht to Rotterdam||50 kilometers or 31.1 miles|
|Amsterdam to Rotterdam||60 kilometers or 37.3 miles|
|London to Rotterdam||380 kilometers or 236.1 miles|
Fun Facts About Rotterdam, Netherlands:
- When people talk about Rotterdam, they think about the modern architecture that is usually associated with it. The place is filled with innovative wonders including the Cube Houses (Kubuswoningen), the Erasmus Bridge (Erasmusbrug), and the Markthal.
- Though the city is modern in every angle, the backstory as to why it is so is a dark one. A bombing occurred during World War II which practically destroyed a significant amount of Rotterdam. The city had to be rebuilt, giving birth to the modern architecture that it became most famous for.
- The name Rotterdam comes from the river Rotte which is a small body of water that runs through the area. The word “rotte” in itself means a watercourse or a small stream. The early settlers built a dam in the river, hence the name Rotterdam.
- Rotterdam is considered the home of the largest port in Europe. The Port of Rotterdam which is located at the Rhine-Maas Delta estuary is an integral part of the city and the country’s trade and commerce.
- When you go to Rotterdam, you will indeed find the community to be diverse. It is said that there are people residing here who come from over 170 different countries, making the city culturally rich in many aspects.
- The city of Rotterdam has an extensive maritime history. That is why there are numerous maritime museums which can be found here. One of them is the Maritime Museum Rotterdam.
- Planning to explore Rotterdam soon? You will be thrilled to know that this is a bike-friendly destination. The city has dedicated bike lanes all over, making transporting in two wheels an easy and safe option.
- The motto of Rotterdam is “sterker door strijd” which translates to “stronger through battle” in English. You can find this motto underneath the coat of arms of Rotterdam. This motto arose from the hardships that the city had to deal with in the past.
- One of the city’s informal nicknames is 010. This is derived from the area code assigned to Rotterdam which you dial when calling local phone numbers. Similarly, Amsterdam’s nickname is 020.
- Rotterdam is the only city in the Netherlands that has an actual skyline. Some of the most notable features of the city’s skyline are the iconic Erasmus Bridge, the massive De Rotterdam and the famous Euromast.
More About the Netherlands:
- If you are looking for other places to visit in the Netherlands, look no further. I have made a list of the great Amsterdam neighborhoods to visit, and this includes Amsterdam Noord, the Eastern Docklands, and the Old South.
- Should you find yourself in the Hague, there are plenty of activities to do there. You can admire the fine arts at Mauritshuis, enjoy your time at the Madurodam, or shop at the Hague Market.
- All the best things to do in Maastricht in the Netherlands are right here. Be sure to visit the Saint Servatius Bridge, the Basilica of Saint Servatius, and the Maastricht Caves. A personal favorite is the Bookstore Dominicanen which is hailed as the most beautiful bookshop in the world!
- Here are some of the most recommended tours in Rotterdam. I trust Get Your Guide when it comes to the awesome things that I can do in whichever part of the world I am.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rotterdam, Netherlands:
Is Rotterdam in Holland or Germany?
Rotterdam is in Holland which is the informal name for the Netherlands.
Where exactly is Rotterdam located?
Rotterdam is located in the western part of the Netherlands.
What is Rotterdam best known for?
Rotterdam is most famous for the eclectic architecture which you can find in every part of the city. It has a modern vibe, with the Market Hall, Erasmus Bridge, and Cube Houses being on top of everyone’s list of places to visit when they are here.
Which city is Rotterdam located?
Rotterdam is itself a city. In fact, it is the second largest city of the Netherlands.
Is Rotterdam in Amsterdam?
No, Rotterdam is not in Amsterdam. They are both major cities in the Netherlands. Rotterdam is less than an hour away from Amsterdam.
Rotterdam is in which continent?
Rotterdam is part of the European continent.
Which part of the Netherlands is Rotterdam in?
You can find Rotterdam in the province of South Holland.
Where is Rotterdam located on a map?
On a map, you can find Rotterdam on the west side of Europe. The city is close to the North Sea coast.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Everything Zany Travel Blog exploring the UK and beyond. Sharing travel guides, tips, history, and culture. Our travel media brand is founded by travel and hotel industry expert – Ryazan Tristram, a Dual Citizen (British–Filipina) based in Birmingham, UK. Everything Zany is a reputable and award-winning travel blog. Our work and contributions have been featured in the Huffington Post, CNBC, Discovery Channel, GMA, Readers Digest, and Lonely Planet. Our mission is to build a great travel community and resource of travel tips, visas, and travel guides for travelers. Join us as we travel around the UK and beyond with a mission to share the best of the world.